The Katipunan (1892-1897)
The first flag of the Katipunan. The three K's stand for the movement's full name: Kataastaasan at Kagalanggalang Katipunan ng Mga Anak ng Bayan--The Highest and Most Honorable Society of the Sons of the Nation.
A variation on the Katipunero flag. The letters have been arranged to form a triangle, a shape prominent in Philippine revolutionary imagery.
Yet another version of the Katipunero flag. Katipunero chapters across the country frequently had their own flag designs, and these would frequently evolve into regimental flags of the Revolutionary Army.
Flag used by the Katipunan's Supremo, Andres Bonifacio. This is the first flag using the sun or liwanag, another image prominent in the Revolutionary movement.
The Revolutionary Government (1897-1899)
General Pio del Pilar's battle flag. Also known as Ang Bandilang Matagumpay or The Victorious Banner. This flag combines all the prominent elements of Revolutionary imagery: the three K's, the triangle and the liwanag.
General Mariano Llanera's battle flag. Owing more to Freemasonry than to traditional Katipunero imagery, this distinct design earned the name Bungo ni Llanera or Llanera's Skull.
General Emilio Aguinaldo's battle flag. Originally the flag of the Magdalo faction based in Kawit, Cavite, this flag became the Katipunero standard when Aguinaldo succeeded Bonifacio as Supremo. Featuring the K in alibata script, this flag also set the liwanag's rays at eight.
The first Filipino national flag. The convention of March 17, 1897 in Naik, Cavite decreed this to be the flag of the Philippine revolutionary government. It essentially replaced the stylized Magdalo liwanag with a more traditional form of the liwanag. This flag served as the national flag until the Pact of Biyak-na-Bato on December 15, 1897.
The First Republic (1899-1901)
General Gregorio del Pilar's standard. The first Filipino tricolor, it was inspired by both the Cuban flag and his elder brother Pio's standard. (See above)
The flag of the Republic. Unfurled by General Aguinaldo June 12, 1898 after declaring independence, it was sewn by Doņa Marcela de Agoncillo, her daughter Lorenza, and Doņa Josefina Hermosa de Natividad during Aguinaldo's exile in Hong Kong. Banned by the Americans after the suppression of the Republic, the flag was revived at the establishment of the Philippine Commonwealth. It once more became the national flag at the end of the American rule in 1946.